Recipe Courtesy of Chef Dana Calicchio
Preheat Oven to 350 degrees Makes approx. 60 Cookies
These Cookies are Creepy looking but taste great. You can add green food coloring to the dough to make the fingers green, or any color you want. You can place a piece of red licorice rope and roll dough around for a creepier look.
2 TBS. Liquid Red Food Coloring
60 sliced almonds
2 sticks (16 TBS) unsalted butter, room temp.
1 cup Powdered sugar
2/3 Cup Cane sugar
¼ tsp salt
3 1/3 Bread Flour
1 tsp. Vanilla Extract
2 TBS Almond extract
- Prepare 2 baking sheets with Silicone Silpat sheets or parchment paper.
- With a clean small paintbrush, “Paint” the food coloring on 60 sliced almonds for the finger nails. Set aside on a platter to dry.
- Separate 2 of the eggs and place the egg whites in a small bowl and set aside.
- In a small bowl, Whisk together the remaining eggs with the separated egg yolks, vanilla, and almond extracts. Set aside.
- In the Mixer bowl, fitted with a flat beater, mix the butter, powdered sugar, cane sugar, and salt.
- Mix well with flat beater scraping bowl down if needed so everything gets mixed. Mixture should be fluffy.
- Add Egg yolk mixture and beat together scraping down bowl if needed to mix smooth, a couple minutes.
- Add the flour and mix on low until all four and wet mix is incorporated well.
- If you are going to make the fingers green or another color or half green, half flesh color, separate the dough and add the food coloring to the dough you want to color and mix well.
- Place dough in plastic wrap and let rest in fridge for at least 30 minutes to allow gluten to develop.
- Divide the dough into 8 pieces and roll each piece into 24 inch length ropes, then cut into 3 inch pieces. You should have 8
- fingers from each piece of dough.
- Roll and shape knuckle area by pinching dough. With a small spoon, make marks on finger by nail area and knuckle area. Look at your own fingers for an example. It should be something like this… (()) ((()))
- As each finger is formed, lay on prepared baking sheets leaving 1 ½ inches between each cookie.
- Brush each cookie with egg white.
- Place almond nail slices on tip of finger and push to attach.
- Bake at 350 degrees for 6 to 12 minutes checking after 6 minutes so they don’t brown too much or burn.
- Remove from pan onto cooling rack.
- After they are completely cooled, Store in airtight container or eat…